9.23.2009

How Does Your Child's College Search Differ From Yours?

Things change... and so it goes with the college search. Protocols that existed for generations have changed dramatically over the past 25 to 30 years and our children are conducting their college searches in very different ways than we did.

Take me and my son, for example. We didn't discuss colleges when I was growing up, outside of college football, that is (my parents didn't attend college). I chose my alma mater because it was convenient (in the city where I lived) and affordable (I put myself through school).

Conversely, we've discussed college with my son as long as he can remember. When it comes to the college search process, he and I are learning together because I never participated in any of the usual college planning activities. Furthermore, we are doing a great deal of research online and when I was in college, computers were still a novelty and NO ONE had a home computer.

Leave a comment and tell us about your college search. How "old school" was it? What aspects are more different today? What hasn't changed a bit?


Laptop photo by Simon Wong

1 comment:

Marci said...

It has been so many years but I do remember that our destinations started at least 600 miles from Orlando. Since my oldest daughter, Meggen, had only gone to private school her entire life, I felt a small school would be better for her (she agreed) and I did not want her to be able to come home easily. We went to UVA, Hollins (where my grandmother, aunts and cousins went - I was enrolled but my Daddy let me go to Florida instead since he was a Bull Gator), Sweet Briar (my personal choice), and then we went to North Carolina to see Queens where my mother and all her sisters went to college. Meggen fell in love and the fact that my sister lived 20 miles away up by Davidson (which we also took her to see; the problem, my family founded Davidson and they fawned too much over her). She applied in her Junior year and was accepted which is fabulous because her senior year she was free of worry - kept grades high and it was a wonderful year. My younger daughter, Ashley, followed her there because Meggen adored it. Ashley transferred to Rollins after her sophomore year and that is where she graduated, 3rd in her class. She was a home-body and still is.

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think? Tell us!