10.05.2009

R.I.P. Gourmet

A moment of silence please, for the passing of Gourmet, the 70-year-old Conde Nast foodie flagship publication. We'll miss you.

Today's announcement that Gourmet is falling victim to the miserable economy is a stunner. I know a tempest rages in print publishing these days (my husband is a journalist, so I'm very aware of the situation), but imagined that consumers' continued interest in food and cooking would allow Bon Apetit and Gourmet to weather the storm.

I'm astounded at how many magazines have closed shop in the past year - it's akin to a plague on our cultural landscape. And as for newspapers... don't get me started. While I was a "can't start the day without reading my paper" gal for decades, that's not the case today. The quality of our local paper has eroded faster than my memory!

I'm blue about the news. Let's all raise a toast to the demise of the foodie bible, may it rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think? Tell us!