6.25.2011

Can I Just Get a Good Bowl of Soup?

I don't know about you, but the thing I miss most when I'm traveling is home cooking. Specifically, I miss MY cooking. I'm no gourmet but I'm a pretty decent cook, and enjoy spending time looking for new recipes and trying them out.

When I eat out it's fun to try new cuisines and "foodie" places, but after a few days all I really want is home cooking. And when it comes to home cooking, I usually want soup. Good soup. A bowl full of love that was made from scratch and simmered on the stove for a couple of hours.

Alas, good soup was not to be found on our last roadtrip. The best soup I ate was at Olive Garden and say what you will, but this doesn't fall into the "made from scratch" category in my opinion. I ate vegetable soup that looked promising but was watery and tasted like a can. The tomato soup in Boone, NC was homemade but was vegan and seemed to have tempeh in it - not that tempeh is bad, but it wasn't what I craved. I could have opted for bisque or chowder in Charleston, SC, but those options seemed to heavy for 90-degree temps and oppressive humidity.

Now that we're home I'm going to tackle the situation head-on. Tomorrow is soup day. Chicken tortilla soup, made from scratch. It's going to be delicious - I can't wait!

Photo by R. Young

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think? Tell us!