2.02.2009

Bruce, Dude, What Happened to Ya?

Say it ain't so, Bruce.

You got old, dude. Last night's performance at the Super Bowl halftime was pretty good, as halftimes go. You're obviously still in good physical shape; actually, great physical shape, given that you'll turn 60 later this year. But dude, you got all breathless.

I saw you live, in concert, 23 years ago in Miami during your "Born in the USA" tour. It was spectacular. You were at the top of your game; selling out every venue, always on the radio, an average guy from New Jersey who made it big. My roommate at the time was from New Jersey and although I thought I was a huge fan, Colleen REALLY loved you. Bruce Springsteen was God in our apartment (and Colleen was Catholic, so she really knew how to worship). Being at that show was a highlight from my concert-going days.

But you got old. So, that means that I got old. Damn.

And anyway, would a regular guy from Jersey like Bruce Springsteen really play at a Super Bowl halftime? It's not that you don't have the chops (in spite of your breathlessness), but considering the cost of admission to the gig, isn't it a bit elitist to be performing there when hundreds of thousands of people are losing their jobs? At least it was televised so we could watch from home.

Ah - who am I kidding. Elitism isn't the issue. I'm just hacked to think we're getting old. You're turning 60. I'm turning 50. Damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think? Tell us!