2.08.2009

A Frightful Sight at the Grammys

I'm beside myself!

Tonight, my husband, daughter and I watched the Grammy Awards, enjoying (or puzzling over) the live performances and asking endless questions of our daughter: Who is singing? Can you really understand the lyrics? What's the title of that song? You know - the usual "Clueless parents try to appreciate something that they're really just too old to watch" kinda thing.

I recognized Robert Plant (you go, guy, winning awards and all!) and Whitney Houston (she's looking MUCH better these days). I had a Lionel Richie flashback when I saw Kanye West's latest hair style. Ha! Things weren't totally unfamiliar.

But then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, here comes Stevie Wonder - I LOVE him! - and then he's joined by the Jonas Brothers. WHAT?! Are you kidding me? Arrgghhhhh!

"If I were in a grave, I'd be spinning!," was all I could manage to say. I wanted to cry. What is going on here? Is it the nearly full moon? Was it because Rihanna and Chris Brown didn't show? Why, why, why? Not even the Motown performances could lift my spirits.

Oh, Stevie, you're too fabulous to let this happen. Sure, those three boys were on the cover of Rolling Stone and have throngs of prepubescent fans. It's crazy fan-demonium for them, but it's not deep-rooted talent that will stand the test of time. Stevie, c'mon, you're just too amazing to be singing a Jonas Brothers song.

I need some rest. It's been a tough evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, whaddya think? Tell us!